Thursday, August 2, 2007

Conversation with Larry


King: Rick, what is your plan for appointing a successor for your role as pastor at Saddleback Church?

Warren: As you know Larry, Kay and I first planted the church back in 1979 with everything we owned in the back of a U-haul truck. Fresh out of seminary, we dreamed of planting a church that would be “a place where the hurting, the depressed, the confused can find love, acceptance, help, hope, forgiveness and encouragement. Today I'm 53, so I am a long way from retiring, Lord willing.

King: So in 2009 you will be celebrating 30 years at the church. How long will you be able to lead the congregation?

Warren: My hope is that I will be able to continue my ministry there for another 17 years until I am 70, the age the Bible mentions.

King: So have you thought about who will replace you in 17 years?
Warren: Yes, we would ideally like someone who is around age 25 - the same age I was when I started the church. So we have begun a search of 8-year-olds. We would like to start grooming this person early.

King: Does it need to be a man? Do they need to be American?

Warren: Looking at world population growth, we think it will probably end up being a Cantonese Girl from mainland China. We have created a full ride scholarship at California Baptist University in Riverside, California. Applicants can apply at Saddleback.com

No comments: